At Poringland Primary School and Nursery, we believe that mathematics is an important life skill. Mathematics will be planned and delivered within the framework of the new National Curriculum, White Rose Maths and the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum, together with a range of resources and complimentary school policies.
Our mathematics curriculum offers a broad range of experiences designed to provide pupils with the mathematical understanding, skills and knowledge needed to deal with everyday situations, as well as learning in other areas of the curriculum and investigations within mathematics itself.
We believe that mathematics:
- Is creative and enjoyable;
- Is a way of communicating information and ideas;
- Identifies patterns and relationships;
- Should involve fluency to enable children to access concepts, make links, deepen understanding and achieve success;
- Develops the skills of problem solving;
- Enables decision-making, logical thinking and reasoning.
Through the mathematics curriculum, we will:
- Encourage and develop a mastery level of skills in mental calculation concepts;
- Develop and reinforce problem-solving strategies;
- Develop and maintain speed of recall and introduce;
- Practise and understand a range of mathematics vocabulary.
Mastery is about what each individual child can achieve rather than a standard level. At mastery level, a pupil really understands a mathematical concept, idea or technique if they can:
- Describe it in their own words;
- Explain it to someone else;
- Represent it in a variety of ways (e.g. using concrete materials, pictures and symbols – the Concrete, Pictorial and Abstract approach);
- Make up their own examples of it;
- See connections between it and other facts or ideas;
- Recognise it in new situations and contexts;
- Make use of it in various ways, including in new situations.
Please click on the link below to see how the knowledge and skills in maths are built on year on year: